Hanna was originally chosen by the Centre for Sexuality to be a pilot site in the provincial scaling of the WiseGuyz Program for the 2018-2019 school year. After four successful years, Lynks is pleased to be offering the program again to males 13 - 15 years of age in our community. WiseGuyz provides important healthy relationship education based on an evidence-informed, research supported curriculum. The program runs once a week after school from October 2022 to May 2023. In this voluntarily program, participants will learn about and reflect on:
- Physical health, hygiene and anatomy
- Pregnancy and STI prevention
- Healthy relationships and decision making
- Peer bonding
- Conflict resolution and communication
- Emotions and stress management
- Gender and sexual diversity
- Media literacy
- Human rights and personal values
- Community resources and supports
Through research collected from multiple WiseGuyz programs, the Centre for Sexuality has learned:
- WiseGuyz graduates expressed that they are better able to engage in healthy relationships and feel more comfortable making social connections and coping with negative emotions.
- Wiseguyz participants demonstrated significant improvements in homophobic attitudes, social expectations around what it means to be a guy, and attitudes about their own sexual health knowledge and abilities.
- Recent data suggests the program improves mental health and friendship quality.
If you have any further questions regarding the WiseGuyz program, please contact Doray Veno.